What are the Instagram Video requirements needed to successfully upload video content?
Instagram is strict with its video requirements meaning that some videos that upload for Facebook may not upload for Instagram.
Instagram requires that uploaded content meet these specifications:
- Container: MOV or MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14), no edit lists, moov atom at the front of the file.
- Audio codec: AAC, 48khz sample rate maximum, 1 or 2 channels (mono or stereo).
- Video codec: HEVC or H264, progressive scan, closed GOP, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
- Frame rate: 23-60 FPS.
- Picture size:
- Maximum columns (horizontal pixels): 1920
- Minimum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 4 / 5
- Maximum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 16 / 9
- Bitrate: VBR, 5Mbps maximum
- Duration: 60 seconds maximum, 3 seconds minimum
- File size: 100MB maximum
- Videos that don't meet the specifications will result in a validation message
What are the best Twitter video file formats?
These are the recommended file formats for Twitter videos:
- Recommended Video Codec: H264 High Profile
- Recommended Frame Rates: 30 FPS, 60 FPS
- Recommended Video Resolution: 1280x720 (landscape), 720x1280 (portrait), 720x720 (square)
- Recommended Minimum Video Bitrate: 5,000 kbps
- Recommended Minimum Audio Bitrate: 128 kbps
- Recommended Audio Codec: AAC LC
- Recommended Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (landscape or portrait), 1:1 (square)
These are the advanced file formats for Twitter videos:
- Frame rate must be 60 FPS or less
- Dimensions must be between 32x32 and 1280x1024
- File size must not exceed 512 MB
- Duration must be between 0.5 seconds and 140 seconds
- Aspect ratio must be between 1:3 and 3:1
- Must have 1:1 pixel aspect ratio
- Only YUV 4:2:0 pixel format is supported
- Audio must be AAC with Low Complexity profile. High-Efficiency AAC is not supported
- Audio must be mono or stereo, not 5.1 or greater
- Must not have open GOP
- Must use progressive scan
- Only one GIF is allowed per post.
- GIFs cannot be combined with photos to post.
- GIFs cannot be combined with videos to post.
- The GIF dimensions and size are network specific and are covered in the per network recommendation below:
- Facebook provides recommended specifications for uploading .gif files.
- High quality animations
- Links ending with .gif
- GIFs with a file size less than 8 MB
- GIFs with less than 20 percent text on the image
- Avoiding flashy, excessively grainy GIFs (stay compliant with their advertising rules)
- The full documentation from Facebook can be found here.
- Twitter provides recommended specifications for uploading .gif files.
- A GIF may fail during Tweet creation even if it is within the file size limit.
Adhere to the following constraints to improve success rates.
- Resolution should be <= 1280x1080 (width x height)
- Number of frames <= 350
- Number of pixels (width * height * num_frames) <= 300 million
- File size <= 15Mb
In general, here are the best sizes for sharing images on social media.
- Facebook – 1,200 x 628
- Twitter – 1,024 x 512
- LinkedIn – 700 x 400
- Instagram – 1,080 x 1,080
- Google Posts – larger than 720 x 720 pixels and smaller than 3000 x 3000 pixels
- Supported image file types are PNG, JPEG, and GIF.